To protect the objects photographed and the safety of other visitors, we have guidelines that must be followed when photographing at the Clyfford Still Museum.
Visitor Photography Policy
This policy applies to still photography taken by any hand-held device and to video recordings, which are permitted only on mobile phones or similarly small recording devices.
- Photography must be conducted without disruption to other visitors, Museum operations, or limitation to the accessibility of exhibitions, entrances/exits, doorways, and high traffic areas.
- Photographers and subjects must always stand at least three feet (one meter) away from artwork at all times. Please refrain from touching artwork.
- Flash photography is not permitted in any area of the Clyfford Still Museum.
- Camera bags, stabilization devices such as tripods and monopods, and other large or specialty photographic equipment are prohibited in the galleries (unless approved and accompanied by Museum staff—see Photography Shoot Passes).
- Visitor photography is permitted for personal, noncommercial use only.
- Photographs may not be published, sold, reproduced, distributed, or otherwise commercially exploited in any manner unless approved by the Museum in writing.*
- All photography must take place during the Clyfford Still Museum’s normal business hours.
*For all requests to reproduce or publish images including artwork or the Museum building in any way, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photography Shoot Passes
An application to obtain a Photography Shoot Pass must be submitted prior to all photography and/or video shoots, professional or amateur, which utilize equipment not permitted by the Visitor Photography Policy.
Hourly Photography Pass: $40/HR.
Covers up to 2 photographers from the same company and a group of up to 5 people (groups larger than 5 people must request permission through the Museum’s facility rental department one month in advance; additional fees apply).
+ $50 per additional photographer
Single Day Photography Pass: $300
Covers up to 2 photographers from the same company and a group of up to 5 people (groups larger than 5 people must request permission through the Museum’s facility rental/tour department in advance; additional fees apply).
+ $50 per additional photographer
All shoots must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Applications for photography passes which outline our complete terms and conditions for photography and video shoots are available here and at the Clyfford Still Museum front desk. Payment of fees is due with pass application.
- Students may obtain a photography pass for completion of a class assignment at no charge with a copy of their student identification.
- Photography must not be disruptive to other visitors or block doors or walkways.
- Photography passes will be issued during the Clyfford Still Museum’s regular public operating hours Tuesday through Friday. No passes will be issued on Saturdays, Sundays or Mondays. For photography or video shoots that must take place outside of the Museum’s regular public operating hours, additional requirements and fees apply. Please email email@example.com to inquire about this possibility.
- Photographers must have their passes visible at all times while shooting at the Museum.
- All approved photographers with passes who utilize professional photographic equipment must be accompanied at all times by a member of the Museum’s staff.
- Completed application and payment must be received by the Museum at least two weeks in advance of the intended date(s) of photography.
The Clyfford Still Museum reserves the right to prohibit photography in any area at any time. Failure to adhere to guidelines or staff direction may result in being asked to cease activities and leave the premises. For all requests to reproduce, publish, sell or otherwise commercially exploit images including artwork or the Museum building, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.