Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the Museum’s enhanced safety protocols, we will not be able to welcome school groups to visit the Museum this fall. Instead, we are creating two new offerings for students in grades 4-12: inStill Live and inStill On Demand.
inStill Live is a live, virtual program facilitated by our talented educators via video conferencing. As with inStill at the Museum, this experience is hands-on, interactive, and allows students to be in control of their learning. inStill Live explores the theme Art in Times of Change by taking a closer look at the ways previous crises like The Great Depression and WWII may have impacted Clyfford Still and his work. Students will also consider how they can use art to process or respond to the crises and changes they are experiencing today.
What makes inStill Live unique?
- It’s not a presentation: Students take the lead in doing the talking, reading, writing, and thinking in workshop-model lessons.
- Every student has a voice: Small groups and a high student-to-teacher ratio allow for every student to be heard and have their ideas valued.
- We turn your classroom or home into a gallery: Our expert museum educators are trained in virtual engagement strategies that fuel curiosity and ignite students’ imaginations.
- Do the reading, writing, talking, and thinking.
- Have opportunities to look closely at Clyfford Still’s artwork.
- Examine primary resources.
- Work collaboratively to share ideas and interpretations.
- Find evidence for their interpretations and defend their opinions.
- Reflect on their thinking.
- Have fun!
inStill On Demand
inStill On Demand is a downloadable, ready-to-go lesson for teachers to use in the classroom at any time. This lesson allows students to feel the power of their own ideas through the theme Your Voice Matters. Students will explore Clyfford Still’s artwork to become more comfortable with looking at art, to develop confidence in their ideas, and to use their voices to speak their minds.
This resource is still in development, but will be available soon. Fill out a request form to be the first to know when it’s released!
inStill On Demand Request
Virtual Self-Guided School Visits
The Museum recently launched an interactive virtual gallery experience on our website. The same software the curatorial team uses to curate the Museum’s exhibitions, Virtual Gallerie, is now available for teachers to experience the galleries online anytime on the Virtual Exhibitions page on the CSM website.
The Museum is committed to excellence in teaching in its core programs, as well as to service of the teaching community at large. CSM teacher programs focus on critical reflection on practice, skill building, and practical applications of teaching tools. For districts, active teachers, and teachers in training, we offer learning labs, professional development, and enrichment opportunities.
Instill is supported by: