Join us for customized professional learning workshops for your school, district, or organization.
The Museum is committed to excellence in teaching in its core programs, as well as to service of the teaching community at large. CSM teacher programs focus on critical reflection on practice, skill building, and practical applications of teaching tools. For districts, active teachers, and teachers in training, we offer learning labs, professional development, and enrichment opportunities.
As a single-artist setting with an extensive archive of letters, photos, and primary resources documenting 20th-century art and humanities, the Museum is a leading resource for multidisciplinary, arts-integrated, primary resource-based teaching that fosters critical thinking for participants of all ages.
Workshop topics include arts integration, innovation, teaching and learning for 21st century skills, and more.
New! Enjoy $1 teacher admission during winter break
Celebrate the winter season with our annual promotion just for educators! Teachers, administrators, and school support staff can receive $1 admission to the Museum between Saturday, December 23, and Sunday, December 31. Buy your tickets online and use the discount code TeacherFriends during checkout.
Colorfully Courageous Clyfford Still Teacher Guide
The Clyfford Still Museum commissioned Colorfully Courageous Clyfford Still, a book for children ages 8–12 that explores the art and life of abstract expressionist artist Clyfford Still. Written by Jason Gruhl and illustrated by Jonathan Saiz, the book goes beyond biographical information, venturing into the artist’s emotional world: his motivations, challenges, and discoveries.
According to Gruhl, Clyfford Still gives kids the blueprint for fulfilling their dreams, finding their voices, and expressing their lives through creativity. The book offers teachers, parents, homeschool communities, and caregivers a valuable resource to encourage children to express themselves in paint, song, or dance. While biographical, Colorfully Courageous also asks children to engage with Still’s process of discovering who he was through art and shows and the idea that everyone can find courage in their own voice. In the end, the reader can ask, “Who am I in this world, and how will I express it?”
Download the teacher guide:
inStill On Demand: Your Voice Matters!
Your Voice Matters is a downloadable, ready-to-go lesson for teachers to use in the classroom at any time, available in English and Spanish.
inStill On Demand – English:
If you do not have a Google account:
- Click the links: Lesson Plan and Slides
- Choose “File” then “Download”
- Choose the download format you prefer
If you do have a Google account:
inStill On Demand – Español:
Si no tienes una cuenta de Google:
- Haz clic en los enlaces: El Resumen de la Lección y Las Diapositivas
- Escoge “Archivo” luego “Descargar”
- Escoge el formato de descarga que prefiera
Si tienes una cuenta de Google:
Check out the resources below inspired by our inStill Gallery Experiences program. These prompts are ready to use to support your students in exploring artwork, finding their creativity, and sharing their voices.
Art Looking Activities:
- Yes, and…: A storytelling game that gets students to listen and build on each other’s ideas.
- Random Questions: A gamified way to ask unconventional questions about artwork that get students thinking in new ways.
- Painting Matchmaker: A fun, choice-based spin on a comparative analysis that gets students thinking critically, comparing and contrasting, and making inferences.
Art Making Activities:
- Accordion Book: A very basic mini book that students can make to record notes, ideas, and sketches.
- Bridging My Experiences: A simple drawing prompt that gets students thinking, sketching, and talking.
- Colorful Me: An illustrated identity map that gets students to think about how to communicate facets of their identities through visual art.
- Mindful Gratitude Exercise: A simple prompt to encourage students to cultivate and reflect on feelings of gratitude.
- Deep Relaxation Meditation: A guided meditation that allows students to quickly access feelings of safety, calm, and relaxation.
- Meditación guiada de relajación profunda: Una meditación guiada que permite a los estudiantes acceder rápidamente a sentimientos de seguridad, calma, y relajación.
We love teachers!
Teachers always receive discounted admission of $6 and can receive $10 off any membership level to visit any time. Join us for our upcoming programs and events.