Visitor Photography Policy
This is a photo-friendly museum! To protect the objects and the safety of other visitors, we have guidelines that must be followed when photographing at the Clyfford Still Museum. This policy applies to still photography taken by hand-held cameras or devices and to video recordings, which are permitted only on mobile phones or similarly small recording devices.
- Photography must be conducted without disruption to other visitors, Museum operations, or limitation to the accessibility of exhibitions, entrances/exits, doorways, and high traffic areas.
- Photographers and subjects must always stand at least three feet away from artwork at all times and must not touch the artwork.
- Flash photography is not permitted in any area of the Clyfford Still Museum.
- Camera bags, stabilization devices such as tripods and monopods, and other large or specialty photographic equipment are prohibited in the galleries (unless approved and accompanied by Museum staff, fill out non-commercial photography pass application). Camera bags may be stored in the Museum lockers.
- Professional photographers who have been hired to take photos at the Clyfford Still Museum must fill out the non-commercial professional photography pass application on this page.
- Visitor photography is permitted for personal, noncommercial use only.
- If you want to request a commercial photo or video shoot, fill out the commercial photography pass application.
- Photographs may not be published, sold, reproduced, distributed, or otherwise commercially exploited in any manner unless approved by the Museum in writing.
- All photography must take place during the Clyfford Still Museum’s normal business hours.
- No live flowers are permitted in the Museum, but fake flowers are allowed.
- An application to obtain a Photography Shoot Pass must be submitted prior to all photography and/or video shoots, professional or amateur, which utilize equipment not permitted by the Visitor Photography Policy.
- The Museum reserves the right to prohibit photography in any area at any time. Failure to adhere to guidelines or staff direction may result in being asked to cease activities and leave the premises.
- For all requests to reproduce, publish, sell or otherwise commercially exploit images including artwork or the Museum building, please email email@example.com.
- If you are a member of the media and want to take photos using additional photography equipment, or if you need photos of the Museum, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
New! Promotional Photo and Video Shoot Participants Needed
Are you interested in being featured in a promotional marketing photoshoot or video shoot for the Museum? We are seeking community members who show the range and diversity of our visitors to participate in a variety of upcoming and ongoing marketing projects. No modeling experience is required. All participants receive an honorarium as a thank you for their time, including children. Fill out the Talent Interest Form to learn more.
Non-commercial Professional Photography Pass
$100 for 1 hour for up to 4 people
(additional fees will apply for shoots lasting longer than one hour and/or for more than 4 people)
Covers up to 2 photographers from the same company and 1-2 subjects in photos, for a group of up to 4 people total (additional fees may apply) for 1 hour. Groups larger than 4 people including the photographer(s) must request permission through the Museum’s facility rental department one month in advance; additional fees will apply. Examples include engagement photoshoots, first-look wedding photos, professional headshots, senior pictures, etc. All shoots must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Photography pass applicants must review our complete terms and conditions for photography and video shoots. Payment of fees is due with pass application.
- Photography must not be disruptive to other visitors or block doors or walkways.
- Photography passes will be issued during the Clyfford Still Museum’s regular public operating hours Wednesday through Sunday. For photography or video shoots that must take place outside of the Museum’s regular public operating hours, additional requirements and fees apply.
- All approved photographers with passes who utilize professional photographic equipment including tripods must be accompanied at all times by a member of the Museum’s staff and these shoots will be approved on a case-by-case basis and must be requested in advance. Changes of clothes are considered additional equipment.
- Completed application and payment must be received by the Museum at least two weeks in advance of the intended date(s) of photography.
Commercial Professional Photography Pass
Commercial photography and videography requests will be taken on a case-by-case basis and fees associated with commercial shoots will vary. Exclusive use of the Museum is only available on Mondays and Tuesdays, when the Museum is closed to the public. Non-exclusive use of the Museum is available for commercial shoots Wednesday-Sunday, but photoshoots must not be disruptive to other visitors or block doors or walkways. For more information about a commercial photography pass, please contact email@example.com.