Onsite Learning Tools
The Clyfford Still Museum offers a number of interactive technologies to explore the life and work of Clyfford Still.
A unique multi-user touch exhibition chronicles major developments in popular culture, history, and art history against the lifetime of Clyfford Still, from 1904-1980.
Videos are available throughout the Museum and illuminate key questions concerning Clyfford Still’s life and work with commentary from artists, curators, and historians. Watch on YouTube.
Boettcher Foundation Education Gallery
A place to pause and reflect, the Boettcher Foundation Education Gallery contains books, exhibition catalogues, and short videos concerning the art and life of Clyfford Still, as well as his Abstract Expressionist contemporaries. In addition, the gallery provides a small number of art related children’s books and activities.
- Looking at the Art of Clyfford Still (PDF)
- Abstract Expressionism 101 (PDF)
- Architecture Guide (PDF)
- Family Guide (PDF)
Explore an interactive, virtual recreation of Clyfford Still’s original exhibition at the Albright Art Gallery in Buffalo, New York, in 1959. Use the interactive to view the exhibition, related archival materials, and experience Still’s vision for this landmark exhibition.
More information on the Clyfford Still Museum’s recreated exhibition: 1959: The Albright-Knox Art Gallery Exhibition Recreated.
Conceived for both the interested public and specialist scholars, the Clyfford Still Museum Research Center (CSMRC) encourages and supports humanities-based engagement with the Clyfford Still Museum Collections and its Archives. The Center’s first program, “Clyfford Still: The View From The 21st Century,” in October 2013 at Sotheby’s in New York City, featured presentations from eight distinguished scholars with expertise surrounding the artist as well as a roundtable discussion with all participants.
The Center seeks to employ CSM resources to facilitate research across disciplines, prepare and distribute scholarly publications, and conduct symposia and a broad range of other public programs. A competitive fellowship program is planned for 2015; applications are now being accepted for Senior and Junior Fellows. Collaborations with other institutions, both in and outside of Colorado, are also a key part of the Center’s mission. Lastly, the CSMRC aims to uphold the intellectual breadth—ranging from an interest in music and philosophy to literature and history—that Clyfford Still himself maintained. With scholarly inquiries or for more information about the CSMRC, contact email@example.com.
CSMRC Advisory Board:
- William C. Agee, Evelyn Kranes Kossak Professor Emeritus of Art History, Hunter College, CUNY
- Edward Dimendberg, Professor, Department of Film & Media Studies, University of California at Irvine
- Stephen Mansbach, Professor, University of Maryland
- James O. Naremore, Chancellor’s Professor Emeritus of English & Film Studies, Department of Communication and Culture, University of Indiana at Bloomington
- Emily Ballew Neff, Executive Director, Memphis Brooks Museum of Art
- John Yau, Art Historian, Poet, and Critic, regular columnist for Hyperallergic.com
Inaugural Symposium Presenters and Topics:
- Dore Ashton, Author, art critic, and Professor of Art History, Cooper Union: Clyfford Still—And So On
- Dr. Henry Adams, Professor of American Art, Case Western Reserve University: The Land, Still, and Regionalism
- Dr. Richard Shiff, Professor of Art, Effie Marie Cain Regents Chair in Art, and the director, Center for the Study of Modernism, The University of Texas at Austin: Still’s Marks
- Dr. Kent Minturn, Director of MA in Modern Art: Critical and Curatorial Studies (MODA), Columbia University: Clyfford Still at the California School of Fine Arts
- Carter Ratcliff, Contributing Editor at Art in America, author, and art critic: Clyfford Still and the Claustrophobic Sublime
- James Squires, Senior Conservator, Clyfford Still Museum: The State of Still: Clyfford Still Conservation
- Dr. David Anfam, Senior Consulting Curator, Clyfford Still Museum, Managing Director, Art Exploration Consultancy Ltd., and Commissioning Editor-at-Large for Fine Art, Phaidon Press: Still Redux
Videos are available throughout the Museum and illuminate key questions concerning Clyfford Still’s life and work with commentary from artists, curators, and historians. Selections from the Museum’s YouTube Channel are available below.