Think art and make ideas in The Making Space, a hands-on creation studio located on the gallery level. Deepen your appreciation of the art on view through directed activities, or simply experiment with a variety of art materials to try something new.
CSM gallery teachers are present in the space Friday afternoons through Sunday evenings. Professional artist demonstrations occur on select dates.
The Making Space is generously underwritten by U.S. Bank.
Ongoing activities include:
- Create an artist trading card and take home a card made by another guest.
- Use words from Still’s quotes to create poetry.
- Create a collage with shapes inspired by Clyfford Still’s work.
- Explore pastel on construction paper, the same medium Clyfford Still used to create over 1,000 drawings.
- Create a self-portrait.
- Experiment with felt, pipe cleaners, ribbon, and yarn.
- Draw, sketch, and write using a variety of mark-making tools.
- Explore videos about the Museum, Clyfford Still, Abstract Expressionism, and more.
- Browse a variety of books and resources.
Directed activities change with each new exhibition. During Artists Select: Jonas Burgert, activities will explore ideas present in the curatorial selections made by Burgert. Explore the role of a curator and experiment with curating your own exhibition about Clyfford Still’s artwork, create your own art to reflect upon the contrasting ideas presented by Burgert’s arrangement, and experiment with using both representational and abstract art to communicate major ideas and themes present in Still’s work.