CSM at Home Activities: Scribble People
These loose, gestural drawings of the figure help artists to get a sense of proportion, anatomy, and movement without having to worry about details.
- Friend or family member to pose or an image of a person
- Drawing instrument
- Ask your model to strike a pose or pull up your image of a person.
- Look at the overall shapes of the different parts of the body. Are they ovals? Triangular? Rectangular?
- Hold your tool loosely and make quick scribbles to sketch out the parts of the body.
- Remember the joints-include bends at the elbows, knees, wrists, and ankles.
- Use colored pencils or crayons to add color to parts of your drawing.
- Try drawing different poses.
- Set a timer and allow yourself 30 seconds or a minute to draw each pose before switching.
- Explore all the different ways that Clyfford Still experimented with and portrayed the figure using our online collection.